Wholegrain Brownies (serves 10)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecan nuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch square pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the applesauce, sugar, eggs and oil until smooth.
3. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
4. Combine the cocoa, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the wet ingredients until incorporated.
5.Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean,
but the brownies are still moist. Cool, and cut into squares.
Portion Tip: you can spoon the batter into muffin tins instead, fill them a bit less than half way up, bake for
about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.